Our fur friends in the Houston area need help while their humans are in emergency shelters in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. Efforts by local and national animal advocacy organizations continue with coordinated transportation and sheltering of displaced pets through the ASPCA and Wings of Rescue, while local initiatives that include funding local food, bedding and vet care for nearby shelters. If you’d like to donate to help out, we’ve listed four links to verified initiatives below. Locally, the Houston Homeless Pet Society is also issuing updates and accepting donations here.
How to help
- To donate to the Humane Society of the United States – Disaster Relief Fund, click here.
- To donate to Wings of Rescue, click here.
- To donate to Best Friends Animal Society, click here.
- To donate to a GoFundMe.com account operated by 4 Paws Farm and the I Love My Dog Team to fund veterinary care, food and bedding for animals displaced by Harvey, click here
According to an ASPCA Update:
With tens of thousands of residents entering emergency sheltering, the ASPCA will provide assistance where our resources and experience can have the greatest impact caring for displaced animals and ultimately reuniting them with their families. Any residents who need help recovering pets from their homes or emergency sheltering for their pets should contact their local emergency management agencies.
The destruction caused by this natural disaster has been overwhelming, but we find inspiration in the spirit of those wanting to step up and help. As our response efforts continue, we want to share ways you can take action:
- Make sure you and your pets are prepared for an emergency. Review our disaster preparedness information and be ready for when disaster strikes.
- Please give a donation today to help support the ASPCA’s life-saving work. Your support ensures that we can be whenever and wherever we are needed most, now and in the future.
- Help us raise funds and awareness for our life-saving work by starting a Facebook Fundraiser, or easily add a donate button to a post or status to encourage friends and followers to give.